This is one of the fastest and easiest ways to cook a turkey! Possibly one of the tastiest, homemade, roast turkey recipes from a small city in Greece, Thiva!
- 1 Turkey
- Liver’s Turkey
- 2 Onions
- 75g Butter
- 500g Frankfurt Sausages
- 3-4 Eggs
- 500ml Milk
- 4 Slice Bread
- 500g Bacon
- 200g Kefalotyri Cheese
- 500g Graviera Cheese
- 1 Orange
- 1 Lemon
- 100g Mustard
- 100g Olive Oil
For the stuffing
- Take a bowl and put the bread and milk
- Finely chop the onions, the sausages, the liver and the bacon.
- Place a pan over high heat and add 75g of butter
- Add the chopped onions, the Frankfurt Sausages, the Turkey’s Liver, the bacon, the bread* and the graviera cheese.
- Saute while stirring for 15-20 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Then add the eggs and the kefalotyri cheese and stir the stuffing until is the mixture is homogeneous.
Note** We have to drain the bread before putting it in the pan. We do not add the milk!!
For the turkey
- Preheat the oven to 220 Celsius (set to fan)
- Cut the turkey and open along the back with a pair of scissors or a sharp knife and clean its inside.
- Turn it breast side up and press down on the breasts with your hands to give a butterfly appearance.
- Place the turkey in a large baking pan.
- Fill the turkey with the stuffing. If the stuffing is too much, place it around the turkey.
- Cut the potatoes and put them around the turkey
- Mix up the orange and lemon juice, mustard and olive and drizzle the turkey and potatoes with it.
- Cover the turkey with silver foil, put the pan in the oven and bake for 2 hours.
- Remove the silver foil and bake for another 30 minutes until it turns golden.